Archives for: "December 2017"

Front loader, the swiss army knife

December 31st, 2017

Needed to change the light bulb, and again the combo "front loader and wife" to the rescue.

At the racecourse for the first time

December 31st, 2017

Two days ago I was invited to join a couple of friends to the racecourse at Momarken, or maybe better explained as "tag along" since I had no clue at all, but no problem anyhow, we had a lot of fun and I was even home before Elin had gone to bed, so we where all nice boys on tour.

The nerdy Xmas present - a "smart" cooking probe

December 31st, 2017

Really looking forward to trying out the new "smart cooking probe with bluetooht" on New Years Eve when the turkey is to be placed in the oven. No I do not need to be in the kitchen anymore, I can sit in the livingroom and have full control of the temprature. It will show a graph of how the temp has increased over time, and I can even share it on social media...how cool is that? But actually, I am hoping that I at least can stand outside and check the temp since for instance when preparing deer roast I put it in the oven for several hours and just go outside, so based on that I do mean that I do have a valid use case for the use of the app on my phone.

The baking soda oven cleaner trick

December 31st, 2017

It does actually work

Almost no X-mas at home this year

December 31st, 2017

Had some issues the day before X-mas this year

PhantomJS and 0kb PDF-files

December 13th, 2017

Have spent the past few days troubleshooting an issue with PhantomJS. While veryfing in development and test all was fine, the application running on WebSphere did produce PDF's like a charm. But when we moved to stage that did not work. The strange thing was that all tests we did from command line was fine, but the application kept on producing 0kb files - the logs told us. Not empty files, empty PDF's produced by PhantomJS will be 5kb, so this was another issue. So, a new version of the application was deployed which did not delete from the temp folder, .js and .html file was found, but no still no PDF.

I did from previous problems know that a 0kb file on Windows is not always a real file, more a pointer to a file that was there before. And after hours of work with no progress, other than improved logging and good test suites (but not that good since they did not test what caused the error), it turned out to be a .css import in the HTML causing the error. The import statement should be environment aware, but it turned out that it was referring to the development environment. This worked out fine in test since there was no firewall blocking the endpoint, but in stage it was. HTML-files with the import statement pointing to a blocked endpoint caused PhantomJS to produce nothing. Even if the code
console.log(prettyTime() + " [INFO] Now create pdf")
page.render(output, {format: 'pdf'});
console.log(prettyTime() + " [INFO] PDF has now been created")

did not throw any error. While writing this post I did search for page.render and error handling and found this post https://github.com/amir20/phantomjs-node/issues/290 Must admit that I do not understand what

I have changed this behavior to make it more clear. You can do catch() from promise.

really means. I will forward it to the developers. Anyhow, html-file with this error causes PhantomJS to produce nothing without any error. If we removed the import, all fine.

That time of the year when my addiction comes to life

December 10th, 2017

Gingerbread at work, best there is, not...able...to...resist!

At the theater: Jakob og Neikob

December 10th, 2017

Yesterday with the all of the kids, at Det Norske Teater watching Jakob and Neikob. The kids loved it, especially the youngest one

Santa drama in the kindergarten

December 10th, 2017

Last Tuesday they had anual christmas event in the kindergarten, and as always, at the end everyone gathered outside of the storehouse (stabbur) and the kids started shouting for santa to come out. And all the kids, and the parents as well, could hear santa inside the storehouse, but no door did open. It turned out that the lock was in a deadlock state. So for many minutes - no santa

After about ten minutes santa finally managed to open the door, hooray!!

Svn:externals to the rescue

December 8th, 2017

For years I have had this folder structure in SVN related to Splunk

|
|_apps
| |_my-config
|
|_deployment-apps
| |_my-config

Whenever doing changes in my-config under apps I have had to manually copy the changes to deployment\my-config. But today I realized that I have had it, so Google to the rescue. The solution was to use

svn:externals

. So what I did was

  1. SVN deleted the folder deployment-apps\my-config
  2. Updated the folder deployment-apps, added the property svn:externals my-config https://mysvnserver/svn/myrepo/trunk/apps/my-config

Simple as that, and then when you do svn status you will see that deployment-apps\my-config has an X which indicates that is is external

svn status
X deployment-apps\my-config

Performing status on external item at 'deployment-apps\my-config':

My code is on git-hub

December 1st, 2017

Years ago I created a Java program that exports the post from my blog and creates a PDF of the content. I used to have it on Google Code, but is has been taken down a long time ago. Finally I found time to store it elsewhere, now on Github https://github.com/rhellem/b2evolution-to-pdf

Not surprisingly since I am just about to finish the two day intensive GIT traning https://www.praqma.com/training/git-mastering/